World of Animals
Learn about the various animals in our world in a secular environment. Using Zoobooks, we will explore animals of the current issue.
Learning Objectives include critical thinking, reading comprehension, exposure to wildlife.
Students must be able to understand the articles in Zoobooks ® . Parental support is encouraged.
- Students will need a quiet environment and a working microphone.
Access to the current issue of Zoobooks ® . Zoobooks ® releases nine (9) new issues every year. We will work from the current issue only. We will not access archived articles. Please note: if you purchase a yearly subscription, it may take around 8 weeks to begin delivery.
- Students will need access to the internet.
- Students will need a quiet environment, microphone and headset.
- The World of Animals course is a 50-minute discussion-based webinar held once per issue.
- All topics are chosen from the current month’s issue of Zoobooks. We will discuss the cover topic.
- Students will need to have read the preselected article AND be ready to discuss the article prior to class.
- The instructor has the right to censor.
- Additional assignments may include related video, websites, analysis and small projects.
- We screen websites heavily before posting links. However, websites are in control of the advertising on said sites, not Willow Scholars. Parental supervision is highly recommended.
This is a once-an-issue course. The yearly subscription releases 9 issues per year. We will meet once per issue release. The release cycle is:
- The course is set up so that you choose what works for your family. There are 4 different pricing models based upon how many sessions in which you enroll. On the Enrollment page, there are different packages: one for each session group shown below. You pick the one that works for you, then let me know which sessions.
- 1 Session – $18
- 3 Sessions – $51
- 6 Sessions – $96
- 9 Sessions – $132
- Zoobooks has various options for purchase. The yearly subscription runs around $20. You can also purchase issues individually. Alternatively, many libraries carry Zoobooks. The subscription can also be purchased as digital only, print only, or both.
We will meet in a webinar once per issue to discuss the animal on the cover. The 2020 schedule is as follows:
|Issue Released||Class Date|
|January||Thursday January 16, 2020 4:00 – 4:50 pm ET|
|February||Thursday February 13, 2020 4:00 – 4:50 pm ET|
|March/April||Thursday March 19, 2020 4:00 – 4:50 pm ET|
|May/June||Thursday May 14, 2020 4:00 – 4:50 pm ET|
|July/August||Thursday July 16, 2020 4:00 – 4:50 pm ET|
|September||Thursday September 17, 2020 4:00 – 4:50 pm ET|
|October||Thursday October 15, 2020 4:00 – 4:50 pm ET|
|November||Thursday November 12, 2020 4:00 – 4:50 pm ET|
|December||Thursday December 10, 2020 4:00 – 4:50 pm ET|